City
Please Tell Us Your City

GST to be revised on SUVs and luxury cars, likely to cost more soon

GST to be revised on SUVs and luxury cars, likely to cost more soon
Nikhil Puthran Nikhil Puthran Monday 07 August 2017, 18:44 PM

SUVs and luxury cars in the country are likely to cost more soon as the Goods and Services Tax Council plans to raise the cess on luxury automobiles from 15 per cent to 25 per cent. However, the price hike will not be immediate as implementation will take some time as it requires amendment of GST compensation laws. Speaking about it, a government official who is aware of the developments said, “The council approved an amendment to the GST law to enable an increase in the rate of levy of compensation cess”.

Under GST regulations all cars are placed under a highest tax bracket of 28 per cent and excluding cess the maximum of 40 per cent can be levied. Sub-4-meter petrol cars with engine capacity of up to 1200cc attract a 1 per cent cess, while small diesel cars having 1.5-litre engine or less attract 3 per cent cess in addition to the 28 per cent GST. SUVs and premium cars attract 43 per cent including cess and post an additional 10 per cent cess, it will overall rise to 53 per cent.

A majority of car manufacturers in the country have passed on the price reduction benefits to customers post implementation of GST from 1 July. However, a few of the manufacturers had also mildly hiked the car prices due to additional cess on small cars. Going forward, the hike in SUVs and luxury prices will be known in the days to come, however for potential car buyers, this is the ideal time to buy one before the price hike is applicable.

 

Popular Cars

View All