Please Tell Us Your City

Cars Q&A

If vehicle is not transferred by buyer in his/her name. What are the responsibility of seller of vehicle after sale. If the vehicle is been misused by buyer etc.?
By Ssivakumar 09 September 2008
Expert`s comment:


The seller has to ensure that transaction is complete.By transferring vehicle documents and take a delivery note also .Otherwise he will be taking risk .

Answer by Shiva Shankar 09 September 2008

it is important for the seller to take a delivery note,which is available in the rto transfer form set,specifying the date and time of delivery,duly signed by the buyer.Also payment should be taken by a cheque/ demand draft,from the buyer,which establishes the transaaction taking place,legally.Ideally the cheque should be signed by the buyer,and the signature on the cheque,and the date on the cheque should be the same as in the delivery note.This is because in this stupid country,the buyer may use the car for years without transferring in his name,and in case of any accident or other mess,the seller is in some trouble as the vehicle is in the sellers name in rto records.

Ideally the vehicle must be delivered after the transfer is done in rto records.this is the procedure followed by companies,who do not deliver the car to buyer,till the rto formalities are completed.the seller can assure the buyer that he will not use the vehicle,after getting the payment,and the buyer can note the km reading,as an assurance

Answer by Paddy 09 September 2008

It is very important for seller to transfer the vehicle on buyer's name Hence seller should be do transfer the vehicle on buyer name because it is the safe thing for uncertian incident

Answer by Satyabrat Pandey 09 September 2008

we should sign transfer challan. try to sell our verhicle trusted person only. It it is less price dosnt matter. but be safe always.

Answer by Amol 09 September 2008

Right on the spot - Follow points put forward by Paddy - U'll save urself a lot of anguish & unnecessary run arounds

Answer by Surendra 09 September 2008

Hello Madam,
A delivery note is a one of the most Profound option to tackle such situation but the thing is that u need to have a revenue stamp and seal to make it authentic and valuable many a times dealers will just sign the delilvery note which is having no value. There are other ameture ways of doing it like making a registered agreement in a 50 rs stamp paper recording the transfer and sale. It will be good if you can inform the RTO soon after the sale that the transaction is made with the delivery note.But if we do not have any of these proofs the sole resposibility will be with the seller until and unless u do not have a case registered with the police stating that the vehicle is missing or Stolen on or before the miused date.

Answer by Basenth Mathew Thomas 09 September 2008

There are many ways to sell bikes/cars 1/ make a deal before pricing tnat immediate transsfer ownership .take some part amount and make a agreement on bond paper.thantake nessassary things( photos .add proof .30 form back side buyer sign etc) go to rto and transsefer .and call buyer for balance amount .get full value and deliver vehicle. for extra safty take buyer TO SIGN IF BUYER FAILS TO PAY /HAVE ANY IDEA TO CHEAT YOU ARE SUGGEST TO CHANGE AGAIN VEHICLE TO UR NAME.ADVANCE AMOUNT DEDUCT LOSS BY MORE OWNER SHIP. 2/ MAKE A DEAL TAKE VALUE AMOUNT DELIVER VEHICLE TAKE DELIVERY NOTE WITH TIME DATE AND TAKE XEROX , ONE XEROX POST TO UR AREA rto AND ONE ORIGIN RTO WHERE VEHICLE REGISTERED BY REGD.a/d post. original delivery note buyer photo add proof xerox keep your self for future

Answer by Gautam Jain Chennai 09 September 2008

sir,if buyer not transfer vehicle in his name and also fail to renewal insurance and vehicle met major accident got loss of lives to another person that time first enquiry officer come to old owner ,that time it is ur duty to search out to that person who purchased veh. from you. delivery note time date cheque payment it all not mean at critical time. for more detail you are suggested to read old book type RC, all rules prined in it. that if you sell your vehicle you must intimate to RTO, IF YOU CHANGE OTHER COLOUR /MODIFIYING YOU SHOULD INTIMATE AND MAKE AN ALTERATION IN RC, AND IF YOU SELL YOUR VEHICLE IN SCRAP ALSO YOU MUST TO TAKE PERMISSION AND SURRENDER RC TO RTO AUTHORITY. FINALY I SUGGEST TO ALL WHO WANT FUTURE PEACE OF MIND DONT SELL VEHICLE WHITHOUT TRANSFER

Answer by Gautam Jain Chennai 09 September 2008

When You Think of Scrap Dispose? Think of Us!
We take this Opportunity to introduce our self as BANGALORE SCRAP MART INCORPORATION. The leading Purchase Trading Company in South India having Largest Capacity to Purchase Disposal Goods, Unserviceable items and Obsolete Products Condemned items Used Office Furniture’s Showroom Software IT Companies Industrial Industries Garments Warehouse Factories Manufactures Supermarket Hospitals Etc through Tenders, Auctions and Direct sales.
We Pay Highest and Good Rates in the Market we are at your Doorstep For the instant Cash and Service.
We are Associated with KSPCB & CPCB Certified Organizations’ and Recycling Company’s in Bangalore and Karnataka
We Purchase all kinds of Scrap Materials They are Listed Below for Your Reference !
• Old Used and New Office Showroom Household Furniture’s
• Software IT Companies Furniture’s Corporate Office Asset
• Merchants and Dealers in Ferrous and Non Ferrous Scrap
• Industrial Motors Gearbox Machinery Manufactures Scrap
• Warehouse Stock and FMCG and Damage Expired Products
• Computers Servers Electronic Goods Networking E waste
• Dealers in Air Conditioners Indoor Outdoor Ac Unit Plants
• Used Electrical Lights wirings Panel Boards DG Generators
• Used UPS Online and Offline Batteries Inverters Stabilizers
• Used and New UG PVC Copper Cables and Aluminum Scrap
• Garments Cloths Toys Perfumes Home Products Lot Buyers
• Stationery Items Books Pens Pencils Dairy’s Notes Bags Ink
• Building Demolishing work Interior Dismantling Contractors
• Automobile Parts Junk Damage Car Van Bus Two Wheelers
• Hazardous Chemicals Solvents Lubricants Oil Used and New
• Construction Materials Used and New Interiors Scrap Also
• Scrap Materials Disposable Tenders even Private Tenders
Recycling, Consulting, Engineers, Contractors, Buy and Sell , Sourcing, Outsourcing, Projects, ECO Friendly, Estimating Scrap Value, We organize labors for Segregation for all Types of Scrap Materials, Preparing Inventory as per your request.
You can Call us for free Estimate.
If you have any specific query you may please revert back to us.
Assuring you our best services & longer business relationship.
Looking forward for your Positive Response.
Thanks you With Warm
Regard’s Altaf Hussain

Answer by Altaf Hussain 10 October 2014

i have a copy of the vehicle delivery note alongwith the pan card copy of the buyer - is that ok?

Answer by Aj 08 August 2015

Hello Sir,

I have sell my vehicle in 2012 and i don't have any proof of selling i have sell this vehicle at my bad time. But the vehicle is still on my name please any suggestion so that i can get any help. i am really worried abut this please any suggestion...


Answer by Praveen 07 July 2016

dear all , it is always advisable that the name be transfer must be effected at the tim o sale otherwise the seller wil be in trouble in case of accident.

Answer by Prakash 09 September 2016

Dear all, it advsable that the name transfer must be effected after the sale of the vehicle otherwise the seller will in trouble in case of accident

Answer by Prakash 09 September 2016

Hi Praveen,
If you have sold your car to an unknown person and he's not doing the name transfer even after you requested, you can give a written complaint to the police station saying that Your car is sold long back and the name transfer is not done even after multiple reminders.
Or you can warn the buyer that you are going to complaint in the police station that your car is stolen, if he's not going to do name transfer..
By these ways you can make sure the name transfer is done by the buyer and that you are not in trouble anymore by that car..

Answer by Lokesh 10 October 2016

I have sld my car lst yr but the buyr ha not changed onhis name. Now he wants this sale totransfer in some one else, can i doit. What papers i must obtain for safe guarding myself. Pl help,

Answer by Subhash Baghla 12 December 2016

If a new car meets with an accident and the vehicles goes in total loss. Can the amount paid in RTO amount be transferred to the new vehicle

Answer by Manish 12 December 2016

I have exchanged my Honda active 2014 model scooty in rs. 18000/- and have bought a new scooty of rs 45,000/- dealer gave me only delivery receipt and have taken all doucuments from me i.e. rc, insurance, pollution certificate etc. When I asked him give me the proof you have taken the vehicle in your possession he gave me the same challan/receipt as he give to its customer at time of selling his new vehicle. When I asked him is this enough to have a delivery note to avoid any difficulty. He assured me do not worry as soon as vehicle is sold we will give you the rc of second owner. Sir. Iam worried if it misused or something happen wrong than what shall I do. kindly guide me what can I do in this situation.

Answer by Gopal Sharma 10 October 2017

I have sold my bike Hero Passion plus on exchange offer from the hero dealer in kolkata, they have sold my bike to their vendor and gave me delivery note sign by buyer and adhaar xerox. I have told dealer to transfer the vehicle to the buyer name. They assured me not to worry and be in your name. I have asked many times but they are not doing. Is delivery note and address proof of the buyer enough for our record.

Answer by Khurshid Karim 04 April 2018

can we inform rto office even after 14 days of selling vehicle, i sold car in july 2017.can i inform rto regarding selling of vehicle now

Answer by Singh 04 April 2018

Need urgent help, i sold my car on 19th March and having the sale note and Adarcard. The original doc give to broker for the RC transfre and he did not file. I did not informed RTO assuming transfer will be done. The broker is not giving back the origional and what can be done

l. If I inform RTO now, will it help
2. How I should safe guard myself

Answer by ABC 05 May 2018

what is solution for it in transfer when Your Vehicle Registration/RC for this vehicle has been expired. Your RC is not valid.

Answer by Raj 05 May 2018

If Motorcycle was bought and contract was signed but motorcycle is still in owners name and it got stolen Is there anything the seller can do if buyer doesnt pay amount promised in contract

Answer by MJ 07 July 2018

Dear all,
i have brought a bike from Allahabad the owner said that i will change the name and give you so he took the money and gave the bike to me and went now i cannot able to find him what can i do now But i have the original paper in his name

Answer by John 08 August 2018

This vehicle has multiple active records in the RTOs - KARNATAKA RTO, BANGALORE SOUTH and KARNATAKA RTO, BANGALORE NORTH. Please contact concerned RTO. What can I do

Answer by Ajendra 08 August 2018

I am getting the above error while trying to fetch the vehicle details.

Answer by Ajendra 08 August 2018

I am also getting this same error, can anyone help.

Answer by Halith 09 September 2018

hi sir am also getting same error... what we do

Answer by Thirumalaisamy 09 September 2018

I am also having same doubt but May be multiple active records means still the vehicle was in the name of previous owners name means 1st 2nd or 3rd party name, still not changed

Answer by Mahanth 10 October 2018

I am getting the above error while trying to fetch the vehicle details. Please help.

Answer by Santhi Kumar 10 October 2018

Same happens here what it is all about... please someone suggest how to rectify it

Answer by Manu 11 November 2018

I have sold my scooter and I see there are two active RTO record, one in my name and other in the buyers name. Do I need to do anything in further here

Answer by Ajan 12 December 2018

Answer by Scarry Bruiser 03 March 2019

I agree term and conditions

Answer by Asheesh Kumar 04 April 2019

I had bought a second hand car in pune but car original owner in Mumbai. But the dealer has not transferred RC book in my name. It is 3 years now neither he has done NOC for the car. I had paid extra 5000 to the dealer at the time of buying. He is just making me fool for last 3 years by giving nonsense excuses. I am not driving the car last 1.5 years and it is just parked. Please advise what should I do

Answer by Mitesh 07 July 2019

I sold my vehicle 15 years back. Delivery note is missing at my place. Since the vehicle is not transferred on his name i am frequently getting traffic challans. How to control this .

Answer by Dns Reddy 07 July 2019

Rc or sale letter which is more important .rc is still in the name of old user but the sale letter in my name

Answer by ANOOP. V 09 September 2019

Somebudy takes money, he gave me rc, sale letter and stamp....
But i dont have physical delivery of vechical
Now he is fail to gives to get his vechical

Answer by Moksga 11 November 2019

I have sold my vehicle in aug 2017 ...i have lost tge id proof of the buyer and now i check vehicle is still on my name what can i do plzz suggest me

Answer by Kushal 12 December 2019

I sold my vehicle 15 years back. Delivery note is missing at my place. Since the vehicle is not transferred on his name i am frequently getting traffic challans. How to control thi

Answer by Waqas 02 February 2020

I sold my vehicle 15 years back. Delivery note is missing at my place. Since the vehicle is not transferred on his name i am frequently getting traffic challans. How to control thi

Answer by Waqas 02 February 2020

Want Salvage Vehicle , Accidental Vehicle and Bank Seized Vehicle plz contact 7412066513

Answer by Nishant 05 May 2020
Post your answer:
Your answer

Provide Contact Details